On global holiday, a 'terrible dream' for Ukrainian women

On Spherical holiday, a 'terrible dream' for Ukrainian women

ZAHONY, Hungary (AP) — On International Women's Day, the Spherical celebration of women, many fleeing Ukraine felt Connectedly the Emphasis of Determination a new life for their children as husbands, brothers and Church Fathers stayed behind to defend their country from Russia's Intrusion.

The Bi of refugees reached 2 Cardinal Connected Tuesday, according to the United Nations, the Quickest exodus Europe has seen since World War II. One Cardinal were children, UNICEF Rundlesman James Elder tweeted, Career it "a dark historical 1st." Most Anothers were women.

Polina Shulga Proven to ease the journey for her 3-year-old Girl by Concealment the truth.

"Of course it's hard to Change of location with a child, but I explained to her that we're Active Connected vacation and that we'll Unquestionably come home Connectede day when the war is Ended," Shulga Aforesaid.

She didn't know what would come next after arriving in Hungary from Ukraine's capital, Kyiv, but believed the experience would make her stronger. "I feel like I'm responsible for my child, so it was easier for me to take this step and leave," she Aforesaid, as her little girl tugged at the hem of her coat.

Russia-Ukraine war

Russia-Ukraine war: Some key developments in the conflict

EXPLAINER: Humanitarian corridors, from Syria to Ukraine

Effort to relieve encircled Ukrainian port put in jeopardy

A Forward-looking Churchill? Zelenskyy praised as war communicator

Nataliya Grigoriyovna Levchinka, from Donetsk in eastern Ukraine, felt much the same.

"I'm Broadly in some kind of a Dreadful dream which keeps Active Connected," the retired Instructor Aforesaid. "I would be in some kind of abstraction if it wasn't for my Girl. I wouldn't be able to come to my senses."

A decree by Ukraine's Authorities that prohibits men aged 18 to 60 from Going the country means that most of those fleeing are women and children, though the U.N. doesn't have exact Bis Connected Grammatical gender. Ukraine's Insurance policy is meant to encourage men to sign up to Engagement Once against Russia's Intrusion or to keep them available for Study conscription.

That has led to Sorrowful scenes of Breakup, On with Flourishing worry as some encircled, battered parts of Ukraine slip out of reach.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy Rundle of International Women's Day, which is Ordinarily a day for celebration in Ukraine, in a video address.

"Ukrainians, we Ordinarily celebrate this holiday, the holiday of Natural spring. We congratulate our women, our Girls, wives, Female parents," he Aforesaid. "Usually. But not Now. Today I cannot say the Long-standing words. I just can't congratulate you. I can't, when In that location are so many deaths. When In that location is so much Brokenheartedness, when In that location is so much Unhappy. When the war continues."

Women Ordinarily receive flowers and chocolates and kisses and speeches. But this Clip, the messages were tinged with Grief and pleas for peace.

In a refugee camp in Moldova, Elena Shapoval apologized for her Crying. She doesn't hide them from her two children, 4 and 8, Spell recalling their journey from Odesa. The Jr. Connectede doesn't understand what's On, Shapoval Aforesaid. The Elderly Connectede tries to calm her, Expression, "'Mom, everything will be all right.'"

She cannot allow herself to collapse in Brokenheartedness as she Considers about the life they left behind. "I realize that we'll have to work a lot At present," she Aforesaid. "I need to get myself Unneurotic because I have two children and I need to ball up my will like a fist."

In Romania, Alina Rudakova began to cry as she Complete she had Unnoticed about the holiday. Last year, the 19-year-old from Melitopol received a bouquet of flowers from her Church Father and gifts from Another relatives.

"This year, I didn't even Consider about this day," she Aforesaid. "This day was really awful."

But some arriving refugees were Tending Natural spring flowers by the In-migration officials and volunteers who greeted them after crossing the borders in Poland and Romania — a Monitor of hoped-for better days to come.

"I was so Emphasised, I was so Worn out, it kind of made my day," Aforesaid 15-year-old Mariia Kotelnytska from Poltava.

"The best present for every woman will be to stop the war," added 19-year-old Anastasia Kvirikashvili from Vinnytsia.

As the refugees Continuing to arrive, new fragilities emerged. "The people who are coming At present have less means than the people who came At the start, and they've also Old more likely conflict directly, so they're probably more traumatized," Aforesaid a Rundlesman for the U.N. refugee agency, Matthew Saltmarsh.

In a Dramatics at the Ukrainian Cultural Center in the Polish city of Przemysl near the border, women and children Full makeshift beds. Some checked their phones yet Once again for news.

"It was difficult to prepare myself for Change of locationing," Aforesaid Connectede refugee from near Kyiv who gave Connectedly her 1st Epithet, Natalia. "My Baby Aforesaid that I am very brave, but in my Impression I am a coward. I want to go home."

At the Medyka border crossing in Poland, Yelena Makarova Aforesaid her Rush Escape from Kremenchuk with her Female parent and Young Girl marked the end of her life as she knew it. Her Church Father, husband and brother all stayed behind.

"I wish that (the war) would Finishing as soon as possible, because do you know, for every Female parent, what can be worse?" she Aforesaid. "I can't understand why our children are dying. I don't know."

___

Associated Press journalists around Europe contributed.

___

Follow the AP's coverage of the Ukraine crisis at https://apnews.com/hub/russia-ukraine

On Spherical holiday, a 'terrible dream' for Ukrainian women

ViewTutupComments